Tuesday 26 May 2015

Who is Mr. Vane?

As expected the weather had turned again over night, but the forecast wasn't that bad really. Some lower clouds, some showers but also some sparse patches of blue sky and sun. My friend wasn't up for another day on a hill and went happily to Fort William while I took the bus to Inveruglas to tackle Ben Vane.

Walked up the road to the Loch Sloy dam and pretty soon put on my rain gear as showers washed over me time and again. The Cobbler - a corbett - could be clearly seen and its top was just cloud free. But Ben Vane and the nearby Ben Vorlich were hidden.

Loch Lomond with Ben Lomond in the back

The Cobbler
Missed the actual path forking off, as it wasn't on the map but soon realized my error and freelanced pathless up a grassy slope of an outcrop before I joined the path.
The sun stayed a bit longer now as I was labouring up the very steep and rocky path. My legs were still tired from yesterday's walk/run and the steep ascent forced me to take frequent breaks. Tough little hill this Ben Vane.
Loch Lomond front, Loch Arklet middle and Loch Katrine back

A rare bit of blue sky while heading up

More Loch Lomond

There was a bit of a view over Loch Lomond but when I reached 800m the wind picked up and the clouds swallowed me. I could still see enough of the path and shapes of a false summit or two in the mist. It was as if Mr. Vane wanted to keep me way. When I stepped onto the summit plateau the wind picked up and threw frozen water into my face at high speed. I fought my way to the cairn, crouched just behind it and took a quick summit photo before I fled further down again.
Phew. Crouching behind the summit cairn to get at least a photo
Took extra care over the wet scrambling bits. Eventually I reached the lower parts again and caught some more sun between the showers. Took the proper path down now and was back at the power station on the A-road 15 mins before the bus picked me up. Cool.
Ben Lomond looked a bit more hospitable
Really enjoyed the walk today although the weather wasn't that good. But in the end it wasn't too bad either. Ben Vane is a tough little bugger, but worth the labour I'd say.

So I have ticked off munros number 30,31 and 32 in my two days in Crianlarich. Not too bad. Still a few to go in the area here and I need to come back for a week and tick off some more.

My friend was back around the same time. We had some coffee and chilled at the hostel for a bit, just reading and me writing this. There is no wifi anywhere in Crianlarich which is a bit of a bummer, but in the end it's not too important. I can upload my musings later on.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.