Wednesday 6 May 2015

North Wales Day 3 - Eastern Carneddau Circuit

As the rain stopped some time during the night, I sat pondering over the map again next morning, enjoying the rest of my power hiker breakfast - minced meat and peas. Yum! Moel Siabod wasn't on my map, so I ruled that one out. Clouds were thick but higher up today so the summits were mostly free. Looking out the window I spotted a bit of blue even over the Carneddau while the Glydderau was dark and grey. Carneddau it was then! Time to settle an outstanding score. Last year I had planned to go all the way to Rowen taking in four peaks but the weather had been too bad. Now I was going to get three of them and turn back to my starting point in a circle.
Perfect breakfast

Parked the car a bit further towards the end of Llyn Ogwen on one of the many car parks around 9:30 and headed over to Pen yr Ole Wen's East face. Already many people were heading up Tryfan. Well, that's one for next time for sure!
Climbed a steep path North next to Afon Lloer and just before Cwm Lloer veered West up Penny's flank. Loved the short and easy scramble over dry and grippy rock a lot, enjoying every bit of it. Reached the broad top not long after utterly happy to have finally made it, after staring at it so many times, dreaming of climbing to the very top itself.
Scrambling ahead

The best part!

Done and happy

Views over the Glydderau were amazing and the path to Carnedd Dafydd could be clearly seen ahead. Didn't linger too long and around 11:30 I reached the same top I had fought my way up to from Bethesda the day before. Took a victory photo this time and made my peace with it.
The path ahead to Carnedd Dafydd

Made my peace with it

Nice view from the top today
With a big grin I walked along the impressive ridge of Ysgolion Du (Black Ladders) over to Carnedd Lewelyn which took much longer than expected but was very enjoyable with lovely views all around. Welsh 3000 no 6 was bagged at 12:30 and I allowed myself a short lunch break having made good time so far. The wind was strong up here and despite a bit of shelter I scrambled down to Bwlch Eryl Farchog, scrambling over the airy ridge for the last scramble of the day up Pen yr Helgi Du. Quite a different one but equally enjoyable with many possible routes to the top.
Bwlch Eryl Farchog and Pen yr Helgi Du

Heading back
Then it was just walking down the long grassy slope back to the A5 and the car. The wind was weak down in the valley compared to up on the ridge and the sun warmed me quite a bit. Still, I felt knackerd after 5 hours of walking with lots of hands on bits (My guide book had suggested 6-7 hours).


It was a fantastic day out and totally made up for the two days before. It was great to see the Carneddau in its full splendor with good views around although I have to admit I prefer the sharper rocks and spikes of the Glydderau.
My knees where quite knackered too from all the walking and scramlbing down in between, but I had a 5 hour drive ahead of me now. Took a short break in Betwys-y-Coed for some food and coffee admiring the numerous motorbikes about.

My short trip back to North Wales was worth it in the end and I could tick off a few things I had left last time. Didn't practice as much navigation as I wanted to because I was either too soaked to bother or enjoying the fantastic views all around. On the plus side, I could gain some more scrambling experience, deliberately taking the time to pick out a route instead of happy but headless scrambling up, haha. Took some bearings in the mist as well and working out my position with angle and height (my watch has an altimeter) alone. Monday was good for aligning the map to features around and naming hills and valleys.

Next up is a week in Scotland mid May, which is less than two weeks now.  To say I'm very much looking forward to it, would be an understatement.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.