Monday 16 March 2015

More Bearings, More Pacing

I hadn't slept well in my fancy hotel room. The bed was way too soft. I even considered sleeping on the floor. Really. A mattress twice as thick as a normal one. Strapped on top some kind of duvet, then a cushioned blanket... ahhhhh! The cushion was too thick, so I just took my fleece shirt to place my head on. At least that was easy to sort. I stripped off that duvet thing and hoped my back wouldn't be too sore in the morning.
In the middle of the night the heating started making funny noises. Very LOUD funny noises. I turned it off, which stopped the disturbance... for about an hour. Arg. Plus: Even turned off it felt as if on full blast. So I was sweating on a too soft bed with a loud heating. I had a fantastic night.

Breakfast options were the usual, at least they had gluten-free sausages. They still tasted like there was some kind of grain in them, but I'm being picky here. I was just knackered craving for a cappuccino when there was only normal coffee. Blergh.

Headed back from Hathersage to Foolow for my day two on the Navigation Award Course. New people on it. A walking group from Sheffield and guess what... two Germans among them. Ha!
Spent about 5 hours outside walking up a hill and then over another moor practising more pacing and taking a bearing.



Me and Steve with whom I teamed up for an exercise found the stone circle we were supposed to find in the middle of a sea of heather after pacing 350m metres, taking a bearing from the map first. We were pretty much bang on right in the middle of the stone circle after 350m. Wow. And you could really only see it, when you were right inside it. No way you can find it any other way. Was good fun, although a bit nippy, but no rain or the promised snow shower.
I got my Silver certificate at the end and feel now a lot more confident using my map and compass to navigate to a certain point. Still, there's so much more I'd like to learn. Like adjusting my bearing when I have to circumvent obstacles or navigating in zero visibility. I have more options now for those situations, but still want to keep on learning, going for the Gold award later this year to make me a navigation pro!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.